Monday, January 26, 2009

A few drawings from Palette and Chisel New Year's Day Drawing Marathon

Trina I (Nude #85), 12.5"x19.5"
pastel pencil on toned paper,
available

Kat and Vincent (Nude #86), 12.5"x19.5"
pastel pencil on toned paper,
available

As soon as another model is added, there are a number of elements that come into a picture: compositional relation, perspective, scale, and of course, time management in drawing 2 figures in 20-25 minutes.

Jamie and her partner (Nude #87), 12.5"x19.5"
pastel pencil on toned paper,
available

It's a simple line drawing of a pair of models. But what was interesting was that while I was drawing them, I sensed a certain sweetness in both the pose and their expressions. Later, after the pose, I overheard them say that they will soon be married.

Trina II (5 Minute Gesture #62), 17"x13.5", available

2 Minute Gesture #51, 17"x13.5", available

2 Minute Gesture #52, 17"x13.5", available

2 Minute Gesture #53, 17"x13.5", available

Trina III (2 Minute Gesture #54), 17"x13.5", available

Trina IV (2 Minute Gesture #55), 17"x13.5", available

This is a case where, had it been a longer pose and had I had a few seconds to spare at the beginning of the pose to think about the composition, I would have turned the paper to landscape orientation. But in a 2-minute pose, there is no thinking twice about anything except to react and draw.
Also, she wouldn't have been able to hold a pose like this for more than 2 minutes anyway.
That's what is so exciting (and difficult) about quick drawing; you just have to run with whatever the model gives you. That makes me both so excited about and appreciative of the excellent models who could provide such dynamic poses.

1 comment:

Bob said...

You have some very good gestures here. I'm a figure model, and of all the poses I do, I love gestures the most. I can get out there and do things that I couldn't even imagine in hte longer poses. Arch and twist my back, stand way off-balance or even stand on my head... the gesture gives me unlimited pose possibilities.

Bob